“Quotes are distilled wisdom.” – Sam Horn
Fred Shapiro, Associate Librarian for Yale Law School, just released his annual version of the most notable quotes.
Shapiro picks quotes that are famous, important or revealing of the spirit of the times. The quotes aren’t necessarily the most eloquent or admirable.
Here are a few of his selections — and then I’ll share my “bakers’ dozen” list of TOP 2010 QUOTES which DOES feature quotes that are both eloquent AND admirable.
1. “I’m not a witch.” Christine O’Donnell, television advertisement, Oct. 4.
2. “I’d like my life back.” Tony Hayward, comment to reporters, May 30.
3. “If you touch my junk, I’m gonna have you arrested.” airline passenger John Tyner, remark to TSA worker at San Diego airport, Nov. 13, 2010
4. Republican Sarah Palin’s tweet: “Don’t retreat. Instead — reload!”
5. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, “We have to pass the (health care) bill so you can find out what is in it.”
6. “Chi! Chi! Chi! Le! Le! Le! Los mineros de Chile!” Chant at Chilean mine rescue, Oct. 13.
7. “I’m going to take my talents to South Beach.” basketball player LeBron James
Sam Horn’s List of the TOP POP! Quotes of 2010
1. “If you stick to what you know; you sell yourself short.” – country singer Carrie Underwood
2. “Any time you’re making a living at what you love to do, you’re blessed.” – rock n roller Tom Petty
3. “Creativity is piercing the mundane to find the marvelous.” – journalist Bill Moyers
4. “Nobody wants to go out mid-sentence.” – actor Johnny Depp
5. “I think the one lesson I’ve learned is there’s no substitute for paying attention.” – anchor Diane Sawyer
6. “I am in love with hope.” – Tuesdays with Morrie author Mitch Albom
7. “I went for years not finishing anything. Because when you finish something, you can be judged.” – author Erica Jong
8. “I take nothing for granted. I now have only good days or great days.” – Lance Armstrong (response to what he’s learned from his bout with cancer)
9. “I didn’t need more fame or money. I needed more heart.” – Kenny Chesney (explaining why he went back home to his “roots” instead of planning his 17th consecutive summer concert tour)
10. “Your time is limited so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” – Apple pioneer Steve Jobs
11. “It’s the start that stops most people.” – former Miami Dolphins Coach Don Shula
12. “One thing that’s certain: around the corner from every ugly thing, there’s something really beautiful. If we stop at every bitter interaction; we’ll never reach our destination.” – TV reporter Soledad O’Brien
13. “There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other.” – ex-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
14. “You don’t have to be perfect; you just have to be open.” – Elizabeth Edwards (RIP)
What’s your favorite quote of the year?
Share it here and tell us why it impacted you.
And if you’d like the entire list of my FAVORITE 50 CURRENT QUOTES so you can use them in your blogs, books and presentations; email us at info@SamHorn.com, put CURRENT QUOTES in the subject heading and we’ll be glad to send them to you.